As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, I’ve been reading quite a variety of sewing blogs since turning back to my sewing machine. One of my favourites is the Curvy Sewing Collective. They have some great posts about all aspects of sewing in plus sizes and encourage a very supportive sewing community, with posts from regular contributors and sharing of makes from many different blogs. This month I came across a post about a Holiday Sewing Swap. Simply, you register your interest and are then paired up with another participant to exchange gifts. You exchange emails and get to know a little about each other, then send each other a pattern, and some fabric and/or notions from your stash that you think they would like.
I was paired up with Andie from Sew Pretty in Pink, who lives in Canada, and we exchanged some lovely emails. We seemed to have quite a lot in common too. Such as: cats (who help me to knit and to wrap Andie’s gifts); sci-fi; 50s fashion; Jane Eyre…
We both discussed our desire for a 1950s wiggle dress and I received a great pattern which will make a fabulous rockabilly dress (I have some perfect turquoise spotty fabric for this) and some lovely fabric that I’m intending to use for a gypsy style top, once I have perfected the pattern – the fabric is too nice to waste.
I’ll be looking out for more of these sewing swaps, as they are a great way to connect with people in the online sewing community.
One of my very good friends decided to become self-employed earlier this year. She is an incredibly good beauty therapist and masseuse, and I would recommend Astrid of Cape Beauty to anyone who can get to Selby in North Yorkshire for an appointment. She has recently moved to new premises and has been busily preparing her treatment room. One of the items that she has in her room is a comfy chair, but the covering didn’t match the new colour scheme, so I offered to make her a cover. I took away the old cover and some fabric she had chosen, and got started on the project.
I’m not sure why I took the cover without even looking at the chair, but I had to do the best I could just measuring parts of the cover. It had been made by her grandmother and so I wasn’t going to unpick it. When it was complete, I dropped it off with Astrid at her home, and promised to make any alterations that might be required – I was very concerned that it would be too small, as she’d told me that the old cover was a very tight fit. I’d resisted adding in any extra ease to my measurements, just in case, as I didn’t want it to be too loose, but I was beginning to wonder it this was a good move. I was relying on the accuracy of my measurements and precise sewing, and I was incredibly relieved when arrive at work the next morning and sent me this photo…
Phew! Next time I will definitely take measurements from the item of furniture to avoid unnecessary panic, but this time I got away with it. I was pleased with the end result and, more importantly, so was Astrid.