Electric Piano Cover


A couple of weeks ago, I tried adjusting some t-shirts that were too long for Jez, but it was a bit of a disaster.  The t-shirts had been bought before we moved, and since then we have both managed to loose quite a bit of weight.  Yay!

Unfortunately, this meant that the shortened t-shirts looked ridiculous.  I threw them back in the wardrobe to use the fabric for something else.  I’m now considering deconstructing them and rebuilding them in a smaller size, retaining the neck band if I can.  But that’s for another day.

Today, I completed my first successful sewing project in a long time, and I only started it yesterday.  I had some leftover fabric that I thought would make a good cover for my electric piano.  It came from some Ikea curtains I had shortened for my office.  Up until now I’ve just been using some cheap yellow and white spotted fabric that I impulse bought years ago to keep the dust off my piano.  It often slides off, and is a bit of an eyesore in the music room.

Yesterday, I started taking measurements and working out how to construct the cover.  I wanted to create something that would:

  • be easy to put on and take off,
  • fit around the attached music stand, and
  • not slide off.

Here are my doodlings:

I cut out the pattern pieces last night, although I wasn’t entirely sure how I was going to fasten the cover at the back.  I thought probably with Velcro, which I would have to order, but I thought I’d wait until I got to that bit to work it out.

This morning I started piecing it all together, and didn’t have any problems.  It all went together nicely and fit as I intended.

In the end, after chatting with Jez about it, I decided I would go for a Velcro fastening.  I’ve ordered some which should arrive on Monday.  In the meantime, the cover still does it’s job and I’ve just pinned it together with some fabric clips for now.

I particularly enjoy constructing covers from object measurements.  I’ve had two other examples of this with the Guitar and Bass Amp Covers and the Chair Cover for Cape Beauty, and they came together better than I had expected on both occasions.

It looks like I have the sewing and blogging bug back.  Hooray!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s